50 millesimal potency was introduced in the 6th edition of Organon by Hahnemann. The most controversial potency among homeopaths & is mentioned only in the 6th edition of the organon of medicines and was published after the death of master Hahnemann.
It is said that at the ripened age of 86 years and in active practice in Paris, Hahnemann experienced severe aggravations by the usage of centesimal potency. It has been said that after countless experimentation between the years 1840-1842, Hahnemann settled down for the 50 millesimal potencies. He incorporated it into the last edition of Organon as the most refined and perfect method of dynamization.
The name 50 millesimal potency was coined by Dr. Pierre Schmidt of Geneva. Dr. Pierre Schmidt published an article in the British homeopathic journal in October month of 1954. He named his article “The hidden treasures of the last Organon” in which he elaborately mentioned the efficacy of 50 millesimal potency in curing the diseases.
Hahnemann called this method as “The new altered but perfect method of dynamization“. Hahnemann recommends that the medicine prepared according to this new method can be repeated frequently in order to bring about a rapid, gentle, and permanent cure. In the 6th edition of Organon, Hahnemann made remarkable changes in the process of potentisation of drugs.
Hahnemann recommends mixing 99 drops of alcohol with one globule of the previous potency, instead of one drop (which he recommends in the 5th edition). This new method of dynamization decreases the medicinal substance 50,000 times for each degree of dynamization. He called the medicines prepared in this method of dynamization “MEDICAMENTUM A GLOBULE” and not “MEDICAMENTUM A GUTTE” of the previous method of dynamization according to the 5th edition of Organon.
The medicinal potencies prepared by this method are marked as 0/1, 0/2, 0/3 ….0/30, and so on. Here the numerator 0 represents the poppy-sized globule (medicamentum a globule) used in the preparation of the higher potencies.
Preparation of 50 Millesimal Potency
According to fifty millesimal potencies, it is prepared in 2 steps:
- Preparation of mother tincture
- Potentisation process
1. Preparation of the mother tincture
Step-I: One grain of medicinal substance is triturated with 300 grains of sugar of milk for 3 hours. This gives the 3 rd centesimal potency (1: 100x100x100). The process is the same as the Trituration process. The drug strength here is 1/100, 00, 00 or 1/10^6
Step II: One part of the above-triturated powder is dissolved in 500 drops of liquid vehicle. This liquid vehicle consists of 400 drops of distilled water and 100 drops of alcohol. This becomes the mother tincture of the 50 millesimal potency. The strength of the mother tincture here is 1/500 X 10^6 = 1/5 X 10^8.
2. Potentisation process
Step-III: Preparation of 1st potency i.e. 0/1 One drop of the mother tincture is taken in a clean, dry, neutral glass vial; to which 100 drops of pure alcohol are added. This vial used for potentisation is filled 2/3rd full. 100 strong succussions are given with hand against a hard but elastic body like a leather-bound book. This medicine becomes the 1 st 50 millesimal potencies i.e 0/1 potency.
This medical liquid is poured over the small (poppy) sized globules of the finest quality. Once the globules are moistened properly, they are carefully transferred onto a clean blotting paper to dry them quickly. They are transferred to a well-corked glass vial and marked as 0/1 potency. This vial must be protected from heat and direct sunlight.
Step-IV: Preparation of the 2nd potency i.e. 0/2 Only one globule from the 0/1 potency (medicamentum a globule) is taken in a clean glass vial and it is dissolved with a drop of water. By adding 100 drops of alcohol, 100 powerful strong succussions are given with hand by hitting against a hard elastic body. This gives rise to 2nd potency termed 0/2 potency. The poppy-sized globules are again moistened and spread upon the blotting paper for quick drying. The globules are transferred into a clean, glass bottle and labeled as 0/2 potency. The bottle must be protected from heat and direct sunlight.
Step-V: Preparation of next higher potencies The above-stated process is continued by using one globule of the previous potency and 100 strong succussions. This process is continued up to the 30th potency. In this process for the preparation of the next higher potency, only one globule of the previous potency is taken. Hence Hahnemann called this medicamentum a globule.
Through this process, the spiritual sick healing properties of medicinal substances are brought out. Only in this way we can reach the full capacity to forcibly influence the suffering parts of the sick organism.
Mode of Administration of 50 Millesimal Potencies
1. The globules retain their power for many years if protected against sunlight and heat. One globule is sufficient in some cases to get the desired reaction. But for frequent repetition, one globule of 50 millesimal potencies is crushed with some sugar of milk and dissolved in 40, 30, 20, 15, or 8 tablespoonfuls of water with the addition of some alcohol or a piece of charcoal to preserve this and to avoid the spoiling of solution. One spoonful of such solution makes one dose, no matter how minute, touch on the contrary many nerves.
2. In the case of repetition of doses, vital force does not accept the same unchanged potency. Hence the succeeding potency is slightly increased every time. For every repetition of the dose, the medicine must be succussed at least 8, 10, or 12 times. Every time of repetition, tablespoonfuls of the previous medicinal solution are diluted into 7-8 spoonfuls of water and stirred thoroughly.
3. In excited and sensitive patients, the above procedure can be repeated frequently. There are patients of so greater sensitiveness that third or fourth glass of preparation may be required.
4. In § 248, Hahnemann recommends the olfactory method also. The medicinal vial can be kept in the nostril of the patient and asked to inhale; this method can be used 2 to 3 times a day. But each time of repetition, the medicine must be succussed 8 to 10 times to increase the potency.
Also, Read this articles
- 7 Cardinal Principles of Homeopathy
- How does Dynamic Action in homeopathy work?
- Which is the best book of biochemistry for students?
Advantages of 50 Millesimal Potency
1. The chances of aggravation are less: The medicine prepared by the process of 50 millesimal potencies is the highest example of dynamization. Hence the chances of aggravation are minimized.
2. Rapid, gentle, and permanent cure is made possible: The suitable remedy can be repeated frequently. Thus, the vital force can be stimulated frequently by improving the scale of dynamization repeatedly in a progressive manner. Because of this advantage, this potency reduces the time of action of the remedy unlike the centesimal scale, and brings the cure earlier.
3. Identification of the suitable remedy is easier: In the case of centesimal potency, after administering the long and slow-acting medicines like Causticum and Baryta carb, etc, the physician has to wait for a long time to know whether the administered remedy is the right one or not. But such a problem is not there in 50 millesimal potencies. The action of the medicine can be accessed after a few doses only.
4. The same selected constitutional remedy can be used for both palliative and curative purposes.
5. The dynamization of medicine in the case of 50 millesimal potencies, has risen to a greater level: In this potency, instead of one drop of the previous potency, one globule is taken for the dynamization of the next higher potency. Moreover, 100 succussions are given to bring about the inherent curative power of the drug.
6. The remedy prepared from the 50 millesimal potencies can be repeated frequently.
7. In chronic cases, the well-chosen homeopathic remedy can be repeated frequently, even daily. Even the long-acting remedies can be repeated with success, but every repetition must be slightly higher than the previous potency. Even higher and higher potencies can be repeated as long as the patient is showing signs of improvement.
8. If the case demands another new remedy, it can be chosen based on the present totality of the case and administered in the same repeated manner.
9. If the patient shows the signs of homeopathic aggravation, the repetition of remedies can be stopped or the interval of the repetition can be increased.
10. On the contrary, if the symptoms take the wrong direction the prescribed remedy is not the right one, hence it must be antidoted or a well-chosen remedy can be administered immediately.
11. In acute cases, the remedy can be repeated every 6, 4, 3, 2 hours intervals. In very severe cases the remedy can be repeated every hour or even oftener.